Saturday, October 15, 2011

Glorious Fall

As I prepare for my favorite season, I find it brings me so much joy and contentment. I walk Bailey every morning and see the deer along the ravine and the foliage changing colors right before my eyes, see the once raging river turned into a babbling brook. I enjoy the sounds, smells and sights of fall. I find a spring in my step as I walk Bailey, (sometimes twice a day just to be close to the nature that makes me feel so happy)!
Today was a good example, after walking 3 miles, I stopped to let Bailey off her lead and let her play in the once raging river. She finds such peace and you can see her smile as she gallops off to run through the water, never showing signs of the water being too cold. She runs up and down the bank at a full speed and in this moment I can see she is trying to heal from the death of her buddy, Harley a few weeks ago. She is learning to be independent and rely on her senses and Mother Nature is assisting her. In this moment I watch her go from being such a nervous Nellie to a strong and sure lab as she was intended.
Death is never easy on anyone in a family. Least of all the pets. They have their own rhythm with life and seem to take things as they come.(?) I enjoy our "zoo",as we have dubbed them. They are a lot of work but am happy to know we rescued many of them out of some pretty bad situations. It is nice to see them growing healthy and happy as they progress in their individual recovery of the traumas and injustices they have endured in their short lives. It is a sence of accomplishment I feel each day as Remmington and Chipmunk climb up my step stool to beg for treats for the uptenth time that day, or when Bailey learns a concept with such ease. I am glad I have been blessed with these precious souls and have been able to give them such a better quality of life they never had.
As you consider your holiday list this year; I implore you to go to a shelter and donate some time, materials or even bring home a fuzzy lifetime friend. The joy they give to you and your family is irreplaceable in a store bought gift. IAMS Home For The Holidays is a wonderful gift to give to your family and a furry friend that might not be given a second chance if it was not for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog