Thursday, June 16, 2011

Choctaw Hunter's Stew

Hunting season is sneaking up on us again. I hear the wives talking about the "free time" they will have when their husbands and sons head off for the great hunt. So I thought I would share this recipe with you all as it is from my heritage: Choctaw. I had it served at our wedding ceremony as we tried to incorporate many of my traditions as well as recipes with our guest. Enjoy!

2 lbs. deer meat
2 tbsp. beef suet
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
6 to 8 carrots
3 ribs celery
2 lg. onions
2 lg. potatoes
1 lg. can tomatoes
1 lg. can whole kernel corn
Cut the meat into bite-size pieces and brown in suet then add the salt and pepper, cover with water and cook until done. In the meantime, prepare the vegetables and cut into bite-size pieces. Add these to the tender meat and simmer until done. This is very good served with cornbread or fry bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog